Warning: Undetected gas leaks can cause explosions and fires. Be aware that a gas leak can occur if your home or business suffers structural damage during a disaster.
If you suspect a natural gas leak:
- Do not try to locate the source of the leak.
- Do not use any open flames like candles, matches or lighters.
- Do not use telephones, cell phones, computers, appliances, doorbells or garage door openers, and do not touch any light switches or electrical outlets.
- Open windows and doors only if it is possible to do so quickly and easily.
- Quickly leave the house or building, taking everyone, including pets, with you.
- Go to a location where you no long smell gas, and call your local natural gas utility.
- Call 911 if there appears to be an immediate danger.